Indonesian goat curry. Ever since I returned from a trip to Bali, Indonesia, I have been making this addictive Indonesian Sambal Mutton Curry for quite some time now, which is a version of the Indonesian goat curry or kari kambing. In addition to tasting awesome Indonesian cuisine there, I also brought along jars of sambal of different brands and textures, as I had read a lot about. Indonesian goat curry This street food dish comes as a byproduct of goat satay, which left scraps of meat and bones.
Gule Kambing – Indonesian Goat Curry. Curry goat is a curry dish prepared with goat meat, originating from the Indian subcontinent. The dish is a staple in Southeast Asian cuisine, Caribbean cuisine, and cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. You can have Indonesian goat curry using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Indonesian goat curry
- You need 2 lbs of goat meat with bones (goat belly, goat leg meat).
- It’s 1 can of coconut milk.
- You need 1 of lemongrass.
- Prepare 3 of kaffir lime leaves.
- You need 2 of Indonesian bay leaves.
- It’s 1 inch of galangal.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 2 of star anise.
- You need 3 pods of cardamom.
- It’s 2 of cloves.
- You need 5 of shallots.
- Prepare 5 of garlic cloves.
- You need 4 of candlenuts.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of white pepper.
- Prepare 1 inch of fresh ginger.
- You need 1 inch of fresh turmeric.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 2 cups of water.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of fried shallots or onions.
Goat meat has a lovely flavour and can be found in many Asian butchers or online, but this curry also works well with lamb. The family that I cook for has two little girls whose favorite food is Indonesian goat curry – pretty great for five and eight year olds! They have a local restaurant that they go to frequently to get their fix, but one day I decided to surprise them and cook it for them at home, using beef from their CSA instead. Kare Kepiting is common to be found at places like Sidoarjo, Gresik, Surabaya and Tuban.
Indonesian goat curry step by step
- Boil the goat meat for 30 minutes, discard the water..
- Grind shallots, garlic, coriander powder, white pepper powder, ginger, candlenuts, and turmeric using mortar and pestle or a blender with 1 tablespoon of oil..
- On medium high heat sautee the clove, cardamom, cinnamon, and star anise until fragrant around 10 seconds..
- Followed with the paste mix, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, bay leaves and galangal. Sautee for 3 minutes until fragrant..
- Pour in the water and the goat meat, bring to a boil. Add the coconut milk and salt. I'm using pressure cooker, cook it on meat/stew setting or 45 minutes. Sprinkle the fried shallots..
I grew up in Sidoarjo where there is a small eatery (Depot) which is known for its Kare Kepiting. The depot was located in the corner of the street that goes to Sidoarjo train station. I believed the name was Depot Maju Jaya. According to one of my followers on Instagram, the Depot has been closed since. If you ever find yourself in Jakarta and want to try some authentic home cooked Indonesian food, drop me a line and I'll get you in touch with Fitri.