Awesome Beef Rendang. A tip on making Beef Rendang is to use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, if you could find one. It takes longer to use mortar & pestle, but you can taste the difference when you use a food processor. Also, palm sugar is preferred to white sugar.
Will go again whilst here in SG. This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC. The beef rendang was delicious, with the juicy meat and the dominance of traditional recipe. You can cook Awesome Beef Rendang using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Awesome Beef Rendang
- You need 3 tsp of Oil.
- It’s 7 Cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 2 of small Onions, peeled and chopped.
- You need 1 kg of Steak. I like using rump.
- It’s 3 of Large fresh red chillies.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Chilli powder.
- You need 1 of Heaped tbsp turmeric.
- Prepare of Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated.
- Prepare 420 mls of Coconut Cream.
- Prepare 350 mls of Beef Stock.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Cumin.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Soy Sauce.
- It’s 2 of Kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 3 of Heaped tsp brown sugar.
- You need 3 tsp of Minced lemongrass paste.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Lime juice.
- It’s of Salt and Pepper to season.
Also, the taste is similar like on local traditional restaurant in Indonesia. Rendang is a rich and tender coconut beef stew which is explosively flavorful and beef rendang is the most popular rendang. Called "rendang daging" in local language, it's arguably the most famous beef recipe in Malaysia , Indonesia, and Singapore. A great find in the Arab Quarters.
Awesome Beef Rendang instructions
- Trim the beef of any large bits of fat and then slice into 1/2 thick strips..
- Put the oil in a heavy-bottomed fry pan on a mid heat..
- Put in the onion, garlic, chillies, ginger, chilli powder and turmeric and cook it down for about 5 minutes.
- Put in a food processor (or if you don't have one, a large pestle and mortar – even a large heavy bowl at a stretch) and add 60ml of the coconut cream. Let it sit and cool before blitzing or mashing to a paste..
- Put the paste back into the hot fry pan and put the beef in it along with the remaining coconut cream and the rest of the ingredients. Stir it until all combined well..
- Simmer for around 50-60 minutes on a LOW heat, stirring every 10 minutes or so. DO NOT COVER AS YOU WANT THE LIQUID TO EVAPORATE ALMOST COMPLETELY. It should still be tender and juicy at the end but Rendang is not a wet curry. Keep an eye on it as it gets towards the end of cooking as the Sweetness in some of the ingredients will cause it to stick and burn quickly..
- When cooked, stir it around and then place over cooked rice and I like some Pak Choy with it. When dished, season with salt and pepper and squeeze over the lime juice.
- Enjoy!!! 😊.
Will go again whilst here in SG. This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Beef Rendang is a Malaysian curry and is considered by many to be the king of all curries! To say it's extravagantly delicious is an understatement. There are very few curries in this world with such amazingly complex flavours.