Beef Rendang – Indonesian. Moist beef rendang is cooked much shorter than dry beef rendang. The cooking process ends when the coconut milk becomes a thick gravy of the rendang. Moist rendang is more popular in neighboring countries- Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, and southern Thailand.
It's often served at ceremonial occasions and to honor guests. I believe the dish came to Malaysia when the Minangkabau settlers from Sumatra migrated to the southern part of the Malay peninsula during the era of the Melaka Sultanate. This Indonesian beef curry recipe will show you how to make a Rendang curry (as it is known in Indonesia). You can cook Beef Rendang – Indonesian using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Rendang – Indonesian
- It’s 500 gr of beef (I used shin beef) – cut big square (I used 250 on purpose).
- You need 400 ml of coconut milk- cans (you can change half to milk, but it will taste bit different, but it will healthier).
- You need 400 ml of coconut milk mix to 400ml water. This to make 800ml light coconut milk.
- It’s 3 of kafir limes leaves (dont use the stem).
- It’s 3 of bayleaves (I only used 2 as we dont have in the house).
- Prepare 1 of lemongrass cut into 3.
- Prepare 1 of turmeric leaves (omit if you dont have).
- You need 1 tbsp of brown sugar (I used our palm sugar – gula jawa).
- You need 1 tsp of tamarind paste (if you used seed one, mix in water).
- You need 5 tbsp of coconut oil (or any) – add if need it.
- Prepare as needed of Salt (last).
- You need 1 of Knorr beef cube.
- It’s 1.5 tsp of white pepper.
- You need of Optional: Rendang paste – I used Indofood brand.
- It’s of To blends in food processor with 1 tbsp oil:.
- Prepare 10 of Red chillies (30 gr) – cut/slice.
- Prepare 5 of Thai red chilies.
- Prepare 3-4 of shallot – cut.
- You need 4-5 of garlic.
- Prepare 2 cm of ginger.
- You need 1 tsp of galangal mince.
- Prepare 1 tsp of corriander seed/powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 2-3 of candlenut (omit if you dont have).
This beef Rendang recipe is not only very easy to make, but it does produce an absolutely delicious beef curry, as the beef is slow cooked in coconut milk. OK, so it is not quick to make, but it is worth the wait. Put the coconut milk and water in a wok or large pan over medium to high flame and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, shallot, galangal, turmeric, chile, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander, cumin, ginger.
Beef Rendang – Indonesian instructions
- In a wok, put a bit of oil and put the beef, cook just to coat them and set aside (less then 5minutes).
- In the same wok, pour the blends ingredients. You dont really need oil (but I used it) as you have mix this with the blends in low heat. No more then 5minutes..
- Add the beef into the wok, coat all the beef and stir fry for another 5-10 minutes medium heat, till you can see the oil separated a bit. Put all the leaves and lemongrass..
- Pour the light (800ml) coconut milk. Add the sugar, white pepper and knorr, a bit of salt (you can always add later, I only put 1/2 tsp) Put the heat up to medium and keep stirring till bubbling. This takes me about 20 minutes. When it bubble. Stop. Add the sachet if using, tamarind water, stirred. Turn off..
- Transfer in caserole dish (or slowcooker) closed and Oven 180c for about 2:30 hours (or until you think the beef is tender)..
- Stirred and Check if it change colour and the liquid drop n thicker. Add the 400 thick coconut milk. Stirred.
- Transfer it to wok, in medium heat. Stirred ccasionally every 15-20 minutes till it thicken (I used timer and did this for about 2 hours). Turn the heat off and leave it overnight. It will change its tekstur in the morning..
- This is how it look in the morning. We start the process again. Medium heat, for 20 minutes. You can see the oil separated and start bubbling. You need to keep an eye and keep stirring..
- You need to stir by scratching it from bottom, so it wont stick. when you see the bubble, you need to keep stirring every 5 minutes as otherwise the bottom will stick. (I always feel excited here as I know it almost finish!). It takes me about 20 minutes..
- After about total 40 minutes, this is how it looks like,I called it Rendang Jawa:) and this is how we usually enjoy. The real Padang rendang will take way longer to cook, and all the coconut will actually be a bit dry and stick to the meat (amazing!!). The choice is yours! I cant wait that long! Lol! Make sure you reheat everyday, if you have left over so the taste get better and better ;).
- The rendang sauce can be stored in fridge for about a week, it can be used to make nasi goreng (like Gordon Ramsay did – but I dont used kecap manis). I will post next time! Sooo delicious to be add on top of your tempe, omelet or fried egg. We can also use as sandwhich filler! The option is endless..
Rendang Sapi is one of the most popular dishes from Padang, West Sumatra. Padang is known by their delicious meals made from coconut milk. You can make it spicy or mild, depend how you like it. I like it because the taste is really strong and aromatic. However, it takes a bit longer time to cook so that the beef will be soft and tender.