Thai Massaman Curry. Check Out Top Brands On eBay. Try this homemade Thai Massaman curry, which is made entirely from scratch. This famous Thai curry is rich and very flavorful.
Chicken is the most popular meat in this curry in the West but beef, lamb or even mutton is more common in Thailand. This thai massaman curry recipe has a very unconventional way of cooking, compared to the Indian cooking methods. The recipe calls for sautéing the chicken in the curry paste and adding the coconut milk first. You can have Thai Massaman Curry using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Thai Massaman Curry
- It’s 350 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- Prepare 300 g of Potatoes (diced).
- It’s 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Tamarind Paste (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water).
- You need 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- Prepare 1-2 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- Prepare of [Marinade].
- It’s 2 pinches of Salt (or more).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of White Pepper (or more).
- You need of [Massaman Spice Mix] – ground well.
- Prepare 1 pc of Cinnamon Stick.
- Prepare 5 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- You need 5 pc of Cloves.
- It’s 5 pc of Black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- You need of [Curry Paste] – processed in a blender.
- Prepare 30 g of Red Chillies (deseed).
- It’s 30 g of Green Chillies (deseed).
- Prepare 40 g of Garlic.
- It’s 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Finger.
- It’s 20 g of Galangal.
- It’s 1 tsp of Shrimp Paste.
Next you add the raw onions, boiled potatoes and raw cashews. Stir all the ingredients and cook on medium low heat. Massaman Curry is a bit of an outlier in Thai cuisine. It was born from Indian and Malay influences and as a result, the main flavours comes from spices typically associated with Indian curries.
Thai Massaman Curry instructions
- MARINADE; season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or more..
- CHICKEN: heat 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Sauté the Spice Mix for 1 minute. Then add the Chicken and coat well. Cook the Chicken until brown all over..
- PASTE & POTATOES: add the Curry Paste and Potatoes. Mix well and cook until the oil separates..
- LIQUIDS: then add in the Coconut Milk, Tamarind Juice, Palm Sugar and mix well. Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring the bottom occasionally..
- FINISH: after 10 minutes, remove the lid, and continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and serve with rice..
Spices such as: cumin, coriander, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom. Thai massaman curry is an adaptation of Malaysian & Indian curries incorporating potatoes, cumin, and coriander prevalent in those cuisines. The southern border of Thailand (formerly Siam) with Malaysia has changed hands a few times. Massaman Curry (gaeng matsaman – ??????????) is a Southern Thai curry which has a lot of Indian influence. Massaman is an old way of saying "Muslim", for many of the dry spices were carried to Thailand by early Muslim traders.