Beef rendang. A tip on making Beef Rendang is to use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices, if you could find one. It takes longer to use mortar & pestle, but you can taste the difference when you use a food processor. Also, palm sugar is preferred to white sugar.
It's often served at ceremonial occasions and to honor guests. I believe the dish came to Malaysia when the Minangkabau settlers from Sumatra migrated to the southern part of the Malay peninsula during the era of the Melaka Sultanate. Place the beef tenderloin cubes in a skillet over medium heat with the pepper mixture, galangal, lemon grass, lime leaves, and turmeric. You can have Beef rendang using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef rendang
- Prepare 2 of red onion, roughly chopped.
- It’s 5 of garlic cloves,peeled.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of grated ginger.
- It’s 6 of large red chili,3 de-seeded and roughly chopped,3 chopped.
- It’s 3 of lemongrass stalk,white part only, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of light flavoured oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ground cumin.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ground coriander.
- You need 2 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 2 kg of beef diced.
- You need 400 ml of coconut milk.
- Prepare 2 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sea salt.
- You need 1 tbsp of soft brown sugar.
- It’s of Kafir lime.
- It’s of Coriander. Leaves chopped.
- Prepare 1 of big red chili for garnish.
Unlike many curries, this is a "dry" curry which means the beef is not swimming in sauce. Beef rendang is one of the original cuisines of Minangkabau descent and Sumatra's culture. It is served at special occasions to honor guests and during festive seasons. It is a delicious Indonesian dish prepared with a myriad of herbs and spices cooking for a few hours until all the liquids have been completely absorbed by the meat.
Beef rendang instructions
- Place the onion,garlic,ginger, chillies and lemon grass in a food processor and pulse to a paste.
- Heat the oil in large based pan over medium heat,add the paste and the cumin, coriander, turmeric powder cook and stirring for 2 min untll fragrant.
- Add the beef and cook over high heat for 4-5 mum until the beef sealed.
- Add the coconut milk 400 ml water, cinnamon stick,salt,sugar and bring to boil,reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 2and 2 1/2 hours stirring occasionally until meat starts to break up n the liquid has evaporated.
- Garnish with kafir lime, chopped coriander n big red chili.
- Serve with steamed rice and green vegetable,,enjoy😋.
Beef Rendang Instead of searing the meat before cooking it in liquid, as is done with a Western-style braise, beef rendang reverses the process. Slowly simmering beef chuck with Indonesian spice. Put the coconut milk and water in a wok or large pan over medium to high flame and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, shallot, galangal, turmeric, chile, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander, cumin, ginger. "Intensely flavourful and rich, this traditional Malay beef rendang is a classic favourite during Eid, when Muslims in Singapore break their fast with a feast. Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook for two minutes.