Pastel goreng – Indonesian savoury fried pastry *can be Vegan. Pastel goreng or fried puff pastry is one of the famous Indonesian snack. It's a type of savory and deep fried snack. This fried pastry looks similar to an empanadas, Puerto Rican pasteles, English pasties, or Malaysian curry puff.
It's a type of savory and deep fried snack. This fried pastry looks similar to an empanadas, Puerto Rican pasteles, English pasties, or Malaysian curry puff. Which makes it different maybe from the filling and taste. You can cook Pastel goreng – Indonesian savoury fried pastry *can be Vegan using 22 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pastel goreng – Indonesian savoury fried pastry *can be Vegan
- You need of For skin dough*.
- Prepare 250 gr of all purpose flour.
- You need 1/2 of himalayan salt – add if desire.
- Prepare 40 gr of butter or margarine – look for vegan one if you prefer.
- You need 40 ml of oil (vegetable or sunflower).
- It’s 70 ml of water.
- It’s of For filling**.
- You need 2 of tbps butter (or oil).
- You need 1 of onion, dice small.
- You need 3 of medium carrots.
- Prepare 2 of new potatoes.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pasta – boil and cut.
- You need 3 of spring onion – slices.
- It’s 2-3 of garlic.
- Prepare 3 of thai chilies – optional.
- It’s 2 of tbps grated cheese of your choice (can be vegan or omit).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of condense milk (can be subtitute with sugar).
- Prepare 1 tsp of himalayan salt.
- You need 1,5 tsp of white pepper.
- Prepare 2,5 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 60 ml of water.
- You need 1 tsp of chicken knorr (optional).
Pastel goreng – Indonesian snack *can be Vegan. Coming up with healthy snack ideas that fit a vegan diet can be challenging. Luckily, countless combinations of plant foods can make up healthy and satisfying snacks — whether you eat fully vegan or are simply interested in reducing animal products in your diet. Pastel goreng or chicken and vegetables fried puff is one of the very famous Indonesian snacks.
Pastel goreng – Indonesian savoury fried pastry *can be Vegan instructions
- For filling* Heat the wok, in medium heat, add butter/oil. Add onion, garlic till fragrant. add the flour, mix well till it change color. add carrot, potato and pasta, spring onion. mix well..
- Add white pepper, salt, chicken stock mix well. Mix water with condense (or sugar) and pour it in. Last, add the cheese. mix well and taste it. Add to your taste. turn it off. It should be quite thick n sticky. leave this till cool..
- For dough * – in a pan melt the butter, add oil, salt and mixed well. turn off the pan..
- Gradually add the water little by little, mix with hand just till all mix. Do not over mix, as it will make the dough hard..
- Weigh the dough about 25-30 gr each (you can make it bigger if you prefer). and roll them with pin to make thin layer. Used a glass or something to make a round thin dough (see picture)..
- Add about 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle, fold in half, and do as in picture..
- When all finish, Heat pan with oil. The oil need to be able to cover the pasties. when it is hot, lower to medium. and start frying. make sure to move them during frying..
- Note: Even if you want to eat them later, this need to be fry right away (just fry half way, and put in fridge. when you want to eat, you can always put them in the oven to warm it up)..
It's a savory snack that I love so much since I was a little girl. I actually like savory snacks better than sweet snack like cakes or donuts. My favorite Indonesian snacks are risoles, pastel Goreng, kroket (croquettes), and… Pastel goreng is an Indonesian fried pastry filled with meat and vegetables. This snack probably originated in Cornwell, UK. It is their official traditional dish.