Thai Massaman Curry. Try this homemade Thai Massaman curry, which is made entirely from scratch. This famous Thai curry is rich and very flavorful. Made with chicken, beef, or lamb, it's a fragrant yellow curry that incorporates lemongrass and nuts together with other key Thai ingredients.
Beef Massaman Curry is the dish of dreams, and one of our favourite Thai recipes. The sauce is rich in flavour and the beef falls apart beautifully. The main ingredients of a Massaman curry. You can cook Thai Massaman Curry using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai Massaman Curry
- It’s 350 g of Chicken Meat (cut into pieces).
- It’s 300 g of Potatoes (diced).
- Prepare 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Tamarind Paste (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water).
- You need 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- It’s 1-2 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- It’s of [Marinade].
- It’s 2 pinches of Salt (or more).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of White Pepper (or more).
- You need of [Massaman Spice Mix] – ground well.
- You need 1 pc of Cinnamon Stick.
- Prepare 5 pc of Cardamom Pods.
- It’s 5 pc of Cloves.
- You need 5 pc of Black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- You need of [Curry Paste] – processed in a blender.
- Prepare 30 g of Red Chillies (deseed).
- You need 30 g of Green Chillies (deseed).
- Prepare 40 g of Garlic.
- You need 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Finger.
- You need 20 g of Galangal.
- You need 1 tsp of Shrimp Paste.
This thai massaman curry recipe has a very unconventional way of cooking, compared to the Indian cooking methods. The recipe calls for sautéing the chicken in the curry paste and adding the coconut milk first. Next you add the raw onions, boiled potatoes and raw cashews. Stir all the ingredients and cook on medium low heat.
Thai Massaman Curry step by step
- MARINADE; season the Chicken with Salt and Pepper and set aside for 30 minutes or more..
- CHICKEN: heat 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot. Sauté the Spice Mix for 1 minute. Then add the Chicken and coat well. Cook the Chicken until brown all over..
- PASTE & POTATOES: add the Curry Paste and Potatoes. Mix well and cook until the oil separates..
- LIQUIDS: then add in the Coconut Milk, Tamarind Juice, Palm Sugar and mix well. Bring it to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring the bottom occasionally..
- FINISH: after 10 minutes, remove the lid, and continue to cook until the gravy thickens. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and serve with rice..
Massaman curry is a popular Thai curry that is rich and creamy in flavor. This Beef Massaman Curry is made with beef, coconut milk, potatoes and peanuts. Learn how to make this authentic curry with this fail-proof recipe! Massaman Thai Cuisine's menu is extensive. It includes soups, salads, curry dishes, stir-fry entrees, fried rice and Thai noodle dishes such as Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles.