Indonesian Potato Patty – Perkedel/Begedil. Perkedel, bergedel or begedil are originally Indonesian fried patties, made of fried then mashed potatoes, ground meat, peeled and ground corn or tofu, or minced fish. The most common versions are made from mashed potatoes, yet there are other popular variants which includes perkedel jagung (peeled maize), perkedel tahu (tofu) and perkedel ikan. Begedil / Perkedel (Fried Potato Patty with Fish) is a recipe I learning several years ago.
Some like it with bits of browned mince beef but I prefer mine plain with the exception of chopped cilantro,green onions and fried shallots. It's up to you to add or omit whatever additional ingredients but this is how it is done in my household. Dip each patty in the beaten egg and gently place in the pan. You can have Indonesian Potato Patty – Perkedel/Begedil using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Potato Patty – Perkedel/Begedil
- It’s 500 g of Beef (ground).
- You need 500 g of Potatoes (diced).
- It’s 100 g of Yellow Onions (finely diced).
- You need 30 g of Chinese Celery (finely diced).
- Prepare 1 tsp of White Pepper Powder.
- You need 2 pc of Eggs (beaten).
- It’s as needed of Cooking Oil (1 cup).
- Prepare as needed of Salt.
Using a slotted, flexible spatula (for best results) gently turn over the patties when *light golden* and fry the other side. May be served with ketchup or soup. Indonesian Potato Patties – Perkedel Perkedel (Indonesian Potato Patties) Quick Potato Patties – 'Perkedel' These Indonesian potato patties are so quick and yummy. You can prepare the potato mash ahead of time and fry them when needed, to serve them hot to guests!
Indonesian Potato Patty – Perkedel/Begedil step by step
- MARINADE: season the Beef with 2 pinches of Salt and 1/2 tsp of White Pepper for 30 minutes or longer..
- ONIONS: in a large wok, heat up 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil until hot and fry the Onions until fragrant. Remove and set aside in a large mixing bowl..
- BEEF: add 2 Tbsp of Cooking Oil to the wok and fry the Beef until crispy and brown all over. Remove and place the Beef along with the Onions..
- POTATOES: in a large wok, heat up 1 cup of Cooking Oil and fry the Potatoes until golden. Remove, let it cool and after that, MASH the Potatoes and season with 2 pinches of Salt and the remaining White Pepper..
- PATTY: combine the Mashed Potatoes with the Beef and Onions. Add the Chinese Celery and mix all the ingredients well. Take a ball of the mixture and roll it into a Patty, do this for the rest of the mixture..
- DEEP FRY: coat or brush the Patty with the Beaten Eggs and then in the previous wok, deep fry them until golden brown. You can eat Perkedel like a croquette, or eat it with rice and curry..
Perkedel, bergedel, pegedil or begedil is Indonesian fried patties, made of ground potatoes, minced meat, peeled and ground corn or tofu, or minced fish. Most common perkedel are made from mashed potatoes, yet there are other popular variants which includes perkedel jagung (peeled maize perkedel) and perkedel tahu (tofu perkedel) and perkedel ikan (minced fish). Indonesian perkedel has more potatoes than meat. Perkedel kentang or also known as bergedil or begedil in Singapore and Malaysia is a popular Indonesian side dish that is great to be eaten alone as snacks or serve with Soto Ayam. These humble potato patties are also known as "Bergedil" in Java, Malaysia and Singapore.